The ATP Lab

This lab is responsible for the control of refrigerated trucks used for the international carriage of perishable foodstuffs.

Control of refrigerated trucks

Refrigerated trucks used for the international carriage of perishable foodstuffs must be controlled according to the international legislation in the same way as cars are regularly subjected to vehicle safety, roadworthiness and exhaust emissions tests (MOT test). This test is called ATP (for Perishable foodstuffs Transport Agreement). This checking is usually performed in the BRSI premises but it can also be carried out in various locations at the hauliers' or even at the client's upon request.

On top of the skills and expertise necessary to provide an excellent service to our customers, we also take an active part to the development of new legislation in this matter on an international scale.

Application forms

Application form for the ATP certificate (PDF) 

Application form for the ATP certificate (Word)

Good to know!

  • A first request as well as a renewal (periodical check) has to be applied for at the BRSI and the Federal Public Service Mobility and Transport.

    Requests for duplicates or modifications have to be applied for at the FPS Mobility and Transport.

    Link to the website of the FPS Mobility and Transport:ère/vehicules_et_leurs_elements/atp .

  • The ATP certificate only concerns the insulated bodywork of the truck; not a vehicle, a licence plate, or a refrigeration unit. These three elements are considered as accessories.
  • The ATP certificate remains associated to the bodywork of the truck in the event of a change of owner of the vehicle.
  • An insulated bodywork can only obtain a single ATP certificate in Belgium. It is renewable.
  • In our system, your certificate is classified according to its ATP reference. The reference is mentioned as follows:
    "ATP R. (0)0000". You will find it on the upper third of the certificate.
  • However, it is still recoverable with the serial number of the truck. The other data (licence plate, serial number of the refrigeration pump or the vehicle brand) may have changed over time.

Before contacting us, gather as much information as you can upon the insulated bodywork. Thus we can offer you better help and advice.

If you require an urgent appointment or if you send us the necessary documents less than four working days before the date of your appointment, we will have to charge a supplement to our usual fee.

You should also read the frequently asked questions and their answers:

What does 'ATP' mean?

Agreement for the international carriage of perishable foodstuffs and for the special vehicles dedicated to that type of transport

Where can I find the terms of this certificate?

What's the use of an ATP Certificate? Do I have to get one?

The ATP Certificate is mandatory for the international carriage of perishable foodstuffs.

Which perishable foodstuffs are subject to the ATP?

In short: dairy products (butter), meat (game and offal), or fish (shellfish and crustacean), whether fresh or frozen.

How do I get the ATP Certificate?

Send the duly completed form (PDF or Word) to the BRSI. This form is available at most insulated Bodywork manufacturers and on our website. You will then have to take the insulated bodywork to the BRSI premises or to one of the proposed test centres for control.

Application form for the ATP certificate (PDF) 

Application form for the ATP certificate (Word)

I have one or several vehicles that need to undergo the ATP test. What are my options?

  1. An ATP test at the BRSI premises (new vehicles + renewals).
    The vehicles are tested within our premises in Brussels. All types of tests can be carried out there: inspection of new vehicles, and renewals (inspection + trial runs).
  2. ATP test on-site (renewals only)
    Instead of coming to Brussels, we offer our customers the opportunity of taking their vehicles for a renewal test carried out by us in various stations all over Belgium.
  3. ATP test at clients location (new vehicles + renewals)
    If the client needs to test several vehicles at the same time, the best solution is that our operator comes directly to the client. That way, the client doesn't have to move his vehicles.

For further information, please contact our secretariat (

What are the various ATP categories?

The most common ones are:

  • FRC, FRB or FRA for the bodyworks with heavily insulated equipment,
  • FNA for the bodyworks with normally insulated equipment,
  • IR or IN for the bodyworks with heavily or normally insulated equipment without a refrigeration unit.

How long is the ATP Certificate valid?

If the insulated part is new, a certificate valid for 6 years will be issued.  Then, it is renewable, after positive test results, every 3 years (6, 9, 12, 15 ...).

Which ATP plate should I affix on the bodywork?

The plate on the bodywork is compulsory. It displays the category attributed to the insulated bodywork as well as the month and the year of expiry of the certificate: pt 6 of the certificate for the category attributed and pt 8 for the validity.

It is composed of dark blue letters (10 cm min.) and numbers (5cm min.) on a white background.

Does the BRSI affix the plate?

No, you may have it created by a firm specialised in lettering work.

I have an ATP Certificate issued abroad. Is it valid in Belgium?

Any vehicle registered in Belgium must have a Belgian ATP Certificate. A certificate issued abroad is considered as temporary and only valid for 3 months.

I have an ATP Certificate issued abroad. Can I have it updated in Belgium?

You only need to present your current certificate to the BRSI with a copy of your registration certificate. Our services will then let you know how to proceed for the tests.

The ownership of the vehicle is transferred, what about the ATP Certificate?

The ATP Certificate remains linked to the insulated bodywork of the vehicle only. If any data issued on that document is modified, you need to ask the BRSI for an update.

I have a second-hand vehicle. Can I obtain an ATP Certificate?

You need to contact our services and thanks to our database, we'll be able to tell you if a certificate has already been attributed to your insulated truck in Belgium.
If so, you will just have to renew or update it.
If not, we will help you know whether you can (still) get one.

The control of my vehicle was negative. What can I do?

If a new test is required (defective refrigeration unit, standards for temperature not met,... ), you'll need to get a new appointment.

If it's a problem with the defrosting system:
A proof of repair can be sent.

If the bodywork is damaged:
Bring the vehicle to our premises, without any appointment but during working hours.

If the identification plate of the bodywork or the refrigeration unit is absent or non-regulatory:
Photos of these plates can be sent as long as we can identify the vehicle and clearly make out the characters on the plate.  You can also visit us.

What can I do if I am unable to bring the vehicle at the appointed time set by the notification?

You need to inform us at least 4 working days in advance to schedule another appointment.
If you did not inform us, you will be charged a compensation amount.
If you have another appointment for another vehicle, you can switch the two appointments.

For further information, contact us via